The Skill Builders for English language arts and mathematics program helps your child to improve basic skills, increase confidence, and develop good work habits, organizational skills and proficiency in written language and/or mathematics skills, easing the transition into the next grade. These classes are available on a weekly basis (weekday mornings, 9:00 to 11:30 AM) throughout our summer programming.
The Skill Builders for French language arts program focuses on oral and written language acquisition appropriate to your child’s age and grade in core and immersion French. These classes are available on a weekly basis (weekday mornings, 9:00 to 11:30 AM) during the first 4 weeks of our six-week summer programming.
Benefits of Skill Builders: In our program, our parents and students appreciate …
- small classes of up to 12 students of a similar age
- more work can be covered in a shorter time than in a more conventional classroom
- flexible timing and choices of weeks, and the weeks do not have to be consecutive
- communication with parents, including a call to review goals before the student begins
- relaxed and encouraging atmosphere, yet a well-structured program
- caring and warm certified teachers who show their enthusiasm each day
- weekly activity log
- a written progress report for those attending 3 or more consecutive weeks in the same program.
Areas Covered in Skill Builders: According to the individual’s needs and number of weeks of registration, the program can include …
- reading comprehension
- listening skills
- vocabulary expansion
- oral reading/phonics
- work habits, organizational skills for task completion
- note-taking skills
- organizational skills related to written expression
- technical writing skills (e.g. sentence and paragraph structure, punctuation, grammar)
- novel study and short stories to enhance reading, comprehension and written expression
- arithmetic computations and number facts
- mathematics: word problems, reasoning skills, geometry, algebra
- critical reasoning/problem solving skills.
A summer educational assessment is available to measure achievement in English language arts and mathematics relative to grade level. This is not required but is very useful in maximizing student success. We do not offer assessments for French. Please see Summer Assessments.
Feedback and Reporting
In all Skill Builders programs, you will receive an introductory call or email from the teacher to review the objectives for your child. This contact will be made just prior to the beginning of your child’s program. During a program of 2 weeks or more, teacher feedback is given by telephone or email. We welcome at any time parents’ input and questions regarding their child’s progress. Also, all students receive a copy of their personal weekly work schedule (Week In Review) from the teacher. Students who attend 3 or more consecutive weeks in the same Skill Builders program receive a written report.