Since 1992, Turnbull School’s small classes and exceptional teachers have provided a well-rounded and enriching academic program, where emphasis is placed on excellence and caring.
Turnbull is a private school in Ottawa, Ontario for Kindergarten to Grade 8. It was founded on the values that children deserve a learning environment where:
- they feel safe and nurtured within a culture of decency and kindness
- they have extremely qualified, enthusiastic teachers who are thoroughly engaged in each child’s academic and social development
- the children are happy to come to school everyday, excited by their new learning activities
- each child’s unique talents, interests and learning styles are appreciated and fostered
- they are helped to do their personal best
- they have unique, enriching opportunities in academics, arts, sports and community engagement
- their classmates are motivated and engaged in learning
- they are extremely well prepared for success at high school and beyond.
We also believe that our parents deserve:
- staff who are accessible and accountable
- to receive meaningful, accurate and regular feedback on their child’s progress
- timely information about class and school activities
- a school community where they are welcome and known.
Our motto, A Place to Grow, was created by one of our first students and continues to this day to represent not only the students’ academic and social growth, but also the teachers’ commitment to ongoing professional development.
Centrally located on 5.5 acres in the quiet Central Experimental Farm area which is a National Historic site, our families have easy access from all regions of Ottawa and the surrounding areas. Fisher Avenue provides convenient access, either by way of Baseline Road or the Queensway / Carling Avenue corridor. With the Experimental Farm across the road and behind our property, the students are surrounded by a green and peaceful environment.
Architect Barry Hobin designed our inviting and cheerful facility. It was built in 1996 with an additional wing built in 2003. It includes:
- a double gymnasium for every student to have a daily physical education class
- a stage for special assemblies and concerts
- a well stocked and comfortable library
- two up to date computer labs
- a fully equipped science lab
- a specially designed and enhanced music room
- a dedicated visual arts room.
The play area at the back is completely fenced in, providing a safe area for the children. Two play structures, a soccer field and an area for junior and senior kindergarten with their own play equipment and sand box all add to the students’ leisure time enjoyment. In addition, a large city park behind the school is used for ice skating, nordic skiing and as an additional sports field during tournaments.
The security system offers controlled access and gives our parents much peace of mind that their children are safe. The central air conditioning certainly adds an element of comfort when summer approaches!
Our learning environment is engaging, modern and a place students enjoy coming to everyday.
If you would like to get an inside look at what makes our students so motivated and happy at school, you can book a visit or call our Registrar, Rachel Fabich, at 613-729-6099 ext. 212. We would be pleased to meet and show you around!